Environmental and Social Sustainability Policy Update
IDB Invest is updating its Environmental and Social Sustainability Policy (dated 2013). As part of this process, we opened the draft of the new Sustainability Policy to public consultation for 120 days, from June 17 to October 15, 2019.
On December 19, 2019, we published on this website a report summarizing the comments we heard during the consultation.
Download the draft Policy in your preferred language.
Why is IDB Invest updating its Policy?
The proposed Policy will reflect IDB Invest’s vision and current best practices relating to environmental and social sustainability.
The public consultation sought to establish a transparent and constructive dialogue that would give all interested stakeholders an opportunity to contribute to the improvement of the Policy’s effectiveness.
The consultation included virtual and face-to-face dialogues. In addition, interested individuals were invited to share their comments on the proposed Policy through the IDB Invest website “Register” section or by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Now that the consultation portion of the process is over, IDB Invest team is working on compiling and classifying the comments received to include those suggestions that strengthen the effectiveness of the Environmental and Social Sustainability Policy.
The draft will be presented to the Board in the first quarter of 2020. Once approved, the new Policy and the old version will be shared with the public, along with a consultation process description and a summary of key comments received.
Thank you for your comments!
Thank you to all the interested parties who attended both the in-person consultation sessions in Washington DC, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the virtual sessions in Spanish, English and Portuguese.
A report about the consultation has been published on this website. It includes a detailed description of the public consultation process and a summary of stakeholders' comments regarding the Sustainability Policy draft.
A revised Policy draft will be submitted to the Board of Directors in the first quarter of 2020. Once the document is approved, it will be published on this website along with the previous version.
An updated version of the report, including a table summarizing IDB Invest's responses to the comments received, will also be published on this website in the first quarter of 2020.
- June 2019: publish Policy Draft. In-person, virtual and digital consultations open for 120 days.
- September 2019: conduct in person consultations in Colombia (September 4th), Argentina (September 4th), Jamaica (September 6th), Panama (September 6th) and Washington, D.C. (September 10th). Also, conduct virtual consultation session in Spanish (September 12th), English (September 12th), Portuguese (September 13th).
- October 2019: last day to send comments regarding the draft policy (October 15th).
- December 2019: published report summarizing the comments received during the consultation.
- Q1 2020: publish an updated consultation report with IDB Invest's responses to the comments provided by the consultation's participants.
- Q1 2020: approval of IDB invest new Sustainability Policy by the Board of Directors.
- Q2 2020: publish draft of the Sustainability Policy Implementation Manual.
Overview of the consultation and participation process.
Presentation shared at the in-person and virtual sessions.
Report on the Consultation Process
Report summarizing the consultation and participation process, including a consolidated summary of comments received.